Friday, June 8, 2012

Shrouded In Silence: The Haunting at Blackwood Hall


Do you like stories about governesses in peril, fabulous Victorian settings, ghosts, witchcraft, seances, secret passageways, family legends, misty moors, and plenty of inclement weather? If you've been following this blog for awhile, you probably do. 

My second full length novel is now available as an eBook at Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Pick one up today, turn down the lights, light some candles, and come to Blackwood Hall. I have a story to tell you.


It was early, but I felt myself growing sleepier by the moment. I hadnt been given laudanum since I was a child, and the effects were completely foreign to me. My vision grew dim, and I found I could barely hold up my head. Alice, bless her heart, came to me and pecked me lightly on the cheek, then made an effort of drawing a blanket over me.

I fell into a strange and troubled sleep. I dreamed of a line of monks marching solemnly through the ruined abbey by moonlight. Their torches cast dancing shadows against the crumbling stone walls. Then, I saw a rider on horseback, a proud black stallion which I recognized as Nigel Kents mount, only the face of the rider was an ugly, twisted visage like the face on Alices doll. Alice was there as well, and her mother came and took her by the hand and the two of them disappeared behind a stone arch and Alice was lost to me forever.

I struggled up from the nightmare and looked about the room. Alice was asleep and the fire had died down low. It must have been the dead of night. But I distinctly heard the sound of the door handle turning, and when the person on the other side of the door realized it was locked, the handle began to shake and rattle so loudly and with such force I thought the door would be torn asunder.

Stop it! Stop it!I yelled, and with great difficulty I hauled myself from the bed. The moment I was on my feet the shaking of the door ceased abruptly. I went to the door and laid my ear against it. I listened for a moment, but heard neither dog nor man on the other side of the door.

Satisfied that what I had heard was only a figment of my imagination, or the remnants of that horrid nightmare clinging tenaciously to my mind, I turned to go back to bed

And distinctly heard the sound of footsteps running down the hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment